Wednesday, June 29, 2011

13 Things I have Learned in Accounting 255 this Semester


Heading into the Summer 2011 semester I was curious about how many topics and assignments would be covered in Accounting 255 during a condensed four week course.  To my astonishment the course took me over a wide variety of subject matter related to the class, while even allowing me to learn of critical concepts related to electronic business management.  This blog post will allow users to discover the course concepts and relevant information in which I was able to pull away from my Accounting 255 class.  The 13 things I have learned from the course are listed below:

-          I was able to set up a free website and blog, which I have discovered to be extremely useful in this new age of social communication.  I learned that these two means of communication are not very difficult to maintain and will be essential if I am to further my social network in the future.
-          I learned the value of creating a planning page for my website and blog as I could have lost sight of my overall goal and stages needed to accomplish it without a written planning page.
-          Prior to taking Accounting 255 I was not aware of the specific types of blog posts such as a “sneeze page” or “list post.”  I originally believed that blog operators just freely posted anything they wished.
-          My website and blog allowed me to create a donation page in which users could freely make contributions as they please through a PayPal account. 
-          An interesting concept in which I was able to pull away from the course was a task in which I submitted my URL to search engines.  I found this to be a critical take-away from the course if I am to drive more traffic towards my website or blog in the future.
-          I was not aware that niche keywords were a critical factor in driving user generated searches towards my website and blog prior to participating in Accounting 255.
-          Before taking Accounting 255 I was not conscious of how contact widgets operated on websites.  After creating one through Kontacr I now know that users basically just input a question into the widget, and then the widget forwards the question to the site operator’s email.
-          Accounting 255 allowed me to create my very own CafePress products and advertise them on my website and blog.
-          Later in the course I found that I was able to advertise relevant Amazon and ClickBank products on my website and blog.
-          I was able to add create an account and add Google AdSense to advertise on both my website and blog, which I have never done prior to this course.
-          I never realized that it was so easy to attain a website privacy policy by simply copying a HTML code from a website and pasting it to a newly created webpage.
-          Prior to taking Accounting 255 I was not aware that a Google affiliate in Google Analytics could track my webpage information.
-          The creation of outbound links to other websites is critical in generating more traffic to my website and blog, along with building credibility.  In the past I would have never posted links to other websites on my own site prior to taking Accounting 255.

In the future, both personally and professionally, I hope to become an expert at utilizing some of the critical concepts learned from Electronic Business Management, Accounting 255.  The course has allowed me to grow as an individual as well because I now know that I am capable of pulling away all of this information from the course in such a short period of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment